Puerto Vallarta Fun
We accept
 
 
PUERTO VALLARTA EL CARRIZAL AND LAS PEÑAS - 19TH CENTURY
 
    During the 19th century the history of Puerto Vallarta, then called El Carrizal or Las Peñas, was linked to the history of the Sierra towns of San Sebastian del Oeste, Talpa de Allende and Mascota. While today these towns are considered quaint tourist destinations, during much of the 18th century, Mascota was Jalisco's second largest town, after Guadalajara. Mascota and its neighboring towns located in the high plateaus of the Sierra, developed as agricultural towns to support the growing mining operations in the Sierra.

    During the 18th century, as Mascota grew, Puerto Vallarta grew with it, transforming itself from a small fishing and pearl-diving village into a small beach-landing port serving the Sierra towns. At the time the main port serving Jalisco was located at San Blas, but the inconvenient overland route from San Blas to the Sierra towns made Puerto Vallarta a more convenient alternative for smaller shipments, not to mention smuggling operations which evaded the tax collectors at San Blas. Puerto Vallarta also became a vacation destination for residents of the Sierra Towns, and by the mid 19th century, the town already had its regularly returning population of vacationers. Most of the early settlers in Puerto Vallarta were families who had left the Sierra towns for one reason or another.

    1859 saw an important turning point for the small village, then known as Las Peñas. That year the Union en Cuale mining company took possession of land extending from Los Arcos to the Pitillal river and extending back up into the Sierra for miles. The Union en Cuale company was owned in part by the Camarena brothers of Guadalajara who had developed a small trade in oil palm in Las Peñas. The purpose of the government's sale of the land to the company was to provide for shipping, fishing and agricultural support for the mining operations which were growing quite quickly in the Sierra.

    The official founding story of Las Peñas and thus of Puerto Vallarta is that it was founded by Guadalupe Sáchez Torres, on December 12, 1851, as Las Peñas de Santa Mar de Guadalupe. Unfortunately the record of Sr. Sanchez's purchase of property in Las Peñas dates the sale to 1859.[6] Also even as early as 1850 the area was already peopled by fisherman, pearl divers, smugglers and foragers, all of whom had something of a permanent existence in the area. Given the existing historical documents it is simply impossible to date the first permanent settlement in the area,

    There is however no doubt the development of Las Peñas into a self-sustaining village of any significant size happened in the 1860s as the mouth of the Cuale area was exploited to support the operations of the newly enfranchised Union en Cuale company. As such 1859 marks the beginning of Puerto Vallarta as a village. Twenty years later, by 1885, the village comprised about 250 homes and about 800 residents.


Airport Transfers - All-Terrain - Art Galleries - ATV - Bay Cruises Standard - Beach Breaks - Bird Watching - Bullfighting - Canopy Tours
Charities - Certified SCUBA Diving - Deep Sea Fishing - Dolphins and Sea Lions - Eco-Tours - Hiking - Gay Vallarta - Horseback Riding
Land Tours - Links - Mexican Fiestas - Mountain Biking - More Info - Night Life - Private Land Tours - Private Water Tours - Sail Boats
Scooter Tours - Scuba Diving Classes - Sea Turtles - Sea Kayaking - Sightseeing Tours - Snorkeling Tours - Sunset Tours - Surfing Tours
Temanzcal - Water Tours - Wave-Runners - Whale Watching - Wild Dolphins. | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | About Puerto Vallarta